Studying abroad

Home    Studying abroad    Studying in Australia

Studying in Australia

Australia has a beautiful natural environment and is a safe country. Also, the studying expenses are relatively cheaper than other countries. Therefore, Australian is an ideal study destination for students.

Geography and Population

Australia has a beautiful natural environment and is a safe country. Also, the studying expenses are relatively lower than those in other countries. Therefore, Australia is an ideal destination for learning.

Geography and Population

Australia is the largest island in the world and has six states and two territories. It also has a population of over 20 million, which is composed of 140 nationals and races. The multicultural background, in fact, plays an important role in social life and thus forms the unique character of Australia.

Climate and weather

Australia is located in South Hemisphere. The average temperature is 30℃ and 20℃ in day and night time respectively during summer. In winter, the average temperature is 23℃ and 10℃ in day and night time respectively.

Seasons in Australia


December – February


March – May


June – August


September – November


Australia is a safe, friendly and harmonious country. When you arrive you may find yourself emerged in the friendliness and hospitality of the people.


Australia has well-developed transport infrastructure and provides an easy and convenient transport system. Take Brisbane as an example. The routes and time-tables of buses, trains and ferries are accessible on the official website of Translink (Queensland Transport Provider).

For more information, please visit

Normally, students who have overseas driver's license are able to drive in Australia. They are requested to bring their driver’s license enclosed with English translation when driving in Australia.


Basically, there are three major accommodation options available for overseas students to suit different budgets and needs.

1. Homestay

Homestay is: students, while studying in a foreign country, live in a local family and share their daily life with the family. Most institutions help to arrange homestay services for international students. Usually a single bed and basic furniture in a room, and 2 or 3 meals a day are provided. Students are requested to pay the rent every fortnight or month depending on the agreement with individual family.  The minimum staying period is four weeks.  Notice should be given 2 weeks in advance to the host family if you intend to move out for other accommodation options.

Students can improve their spoken English by communicating with the families on day to day basis. It also helps them to familiarise themselves with the local culture and the living habits in Australia.

2. Boarding school and on-campus accommodation

Some private secondary schools provide boarding facilities with accommodation, meals and laundry services. There are separate buildings for boys and girls who are all under the supervision of school dormitory administrators.

Besides, some vocational institutions, colleges and universities also offer a variety of accommodation for international students. Single and double rooms are available based on the students’ request and the availability. The on-campus accommodation is comprised of a share kitchen and bathroom, and other facilities like cafe / restaurant and entertainment areas... etc.

3. Rental accommodation

The rents may vary depending on the location, size and the facilities of the house / room.  Sharing room or house is very common among international students especially when students have been staying in the country for some time. Students may collect the information from many sources like the local real estate company, notice board in the institute, classmates and friends. Students are also encouraged to gain assistance from accommodation services at institutes.  They are strongly advised to inspect the house / room in person before engaging in any agreement or contract. The lease contract or agreement is usually 6 months or can be flexible in individual cases.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is a health insurance which is offered to international students. It is the requirement by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship for student visa holders. They must obtain and maintain OSHC for the entire duration of study in Australia. It covers the basic medical costs.

Working while studying in Australia

All student visa holders are automatically granted with permission to work for up to 20 hours per week while the course is in session and unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks.

For more information about visa condition, please visit DIAC.

Tax File Number (TFN)

You must obtain a Tax File Number (TFN) from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) if you are going to work while studying in Australia. To apply, complete a form available from the ATO website

Last Updated on 05 January 2012